Thursday, September 20, 2018

Retirement: What Life Is Like In The Slow Lane (And A Few Tips On How To Make It Better)

By Roy Ortega

The first full year of my retirement has been a period of adjustment into the slow lane of life following a long career that was filled with enough work projects, deadlines and stress to choke a 10-ton elephant. For me, retirement was like having a giant weight lifted off my back. The relief and joy I felt on my last day at work literally made me giddy that I still feel more than a year later. I can't believe I get to stay home and do nothing, if I choose.

Retirement has been a time for reflection on career, marriage and fatherhood. It's easy to dwell on the mistakes I've made along the way, but I prefer to look at the positive things that have happened to me. Whatever I achieved or failed to achieve in life are not things that I care to complain or boast about. Taken all together, life has been good to me, so far.

In retirement, most people look forward to travelling, sitting back in a comfortable chair or fulfilling bucket list dreams. I too have a long list of things I want to do before the final curtain closes. For example, my strong wanderlust has never been totally satisfied. I yearn daily to jump into my car, hop on my motorcycle or get on a plane to go places I've never before visited. I would if I could but I can't. The truth is, even in retirement, there are reasons that can keep you from venturing too far from home. Realistically, I expect most of the things that keep me parked at home will always be around.   

Retirement is also a time for contemplating what's ahead. At age 65, I cannot reasonably expect to live beyond 15 or 20 more years. I am acutely aware and fully resigned to the reality of old age: Illness and fading mental capacity are dead ahead. At this age, we are all only one serious illness away from the end. My attitude about it is simple: Whatever happens, happens. Everyone dies.

Realizing that I still have a few years left in me, I make an effort to stay active, exercise when I can and keep my brain stimulated. The never-ending home improvement projects are enough to keep me occupied for an indefinite period of time. I actually enjoy taking on new home repair projects, but my physical mobility is often limited by back pain caused by a spinal stenosis problem I've had for years. In retirement, there is almost no home repair that can't wait until tomorrow.

Within reason, I eat what I want and drink what I want. If it kills me, big deal. I can assure you that working to extend a life by living and eating healthier isn't all that noble. The overall quality of life for an 85-year old or a 91-year old is not exactly what I would consider worth striving for. Life is not a race to see who gets to the end last. I do not wish to be a decrepit, broken down old man who places undue heavy burdens on his family. I don't intend to get to that point, but if I do, my family has orders to place me in a home and go on living their own lives.

Retirement has its charms and its pleasant aspects. But no one who has reached this point in their lives should have any illusions about what it is like. You make what you can out of the situation. Sadly, many people who retire still have financial issues that tend to burden them at a time when they should be free of any such obligations. My advice is to work toward a mostly debt-free retirement to the extent you can. Having a mortgage and heavy credit card debt will most assuredly make your retirement less enjoyable.

Here are a few more tips I can offer:
  • Don't give up on your dreams to travel and have some fun. Do it when you can. Do it often.
  • If you stay home a lot, stay out of your spouse's way as much as possible. Create your own space and a space for her. 
  • Stay positive. Don't let anyone or anything bring you down.
  • Try to keep an upbeat, happy mood. Always.
  • Don't think about the future too much. 
  • Find whatever joy you can anywhere you can find it. It's not that hard.
  • Don't focus on the little things that annoy you. 
  • Don't get angry about anything. 
  • Don't make an issue out of things that don't matter. 
  • Don't act like a bitter old curmudgeon. It gives a bad name to all old people.
  • Don't complain about shit that bothers you. Except Trump. Lash out against him.
You may reach Roy Ortega at rortega54@elp.rr.com.