Sunday, December 11, 2022

Christian Nationalism - Time to Speak Out

By Roy Ortega

Recent events involving the Supreme Court ruling on abortion, guns and prayer have made it clear to me that we are in the midst of a takeover of our government by Christian Nationalists and right-wing Christian extremists. Frankly, this is an issue that no one should stay quiet about. 

I have written often about the dangers of religious tyranny. My knowledge and understanding of American history tells me the men who founded our government understood the dangers of allowing religious zealotry to control our government. The concept of Separation of Church and State has a much deeper significance than we realize. My main question today is, "why aren't more of us speaking out against Christian Nationalism?" 

My Religiosity Explained

"When did you become an atheist?" asked a social media friend of mine. "Who said I was an atheist?" I replied. I have never said that. True, my writings in the past have always hinted at my disgust with the way some people express their Christianity. It is true I left the Catholic Church years ago. It is also true that I tend to avoid overly religious individuals whose zealotry is well past the healthful range. And certainly, my views about the existence of a "God" do not fit traditional conventions. But to say I'm an atheist is missing the mark. 

For the record, I was born into a devout Christian family. My father was a Catholic and my mother was a Methodist Protestant. My ancestry as recent as three or four generations ago shows deep Jewish connections. No one is born with a religious thought in their head. Children are indoctrinated into their parent's religious beliefs and most carry those beliefs to their graves. 

I'm Done With Religion But Still Working on God 

Religion is one thing. A belief in God is another. In my mind, they are not the same thing. 

I have no trouble engaging in any intelligent, well-reasoned and logic-based discussion about religion with anyone. But my experience in this area has convinced me that deeply religious people have little or no desire to consider remotely that their God may not be the true and only God. Or perhaps, (gasp!) that God doesn't even exist. To me, this notion exists in the range of the unknowable and not worth debating. Christians in particular rarely acknowledge religious beliefs other than the ones explicitly prescribed for them in their Holy Book. Discussions like this almost always conclude with a vow to agree to disagree.

But let me be blunt: I don't like religion of any stripe. I don't like what it does to otherwise sane and reasonable people, and I certainly don't want religious zealots imposing their extremist beliefs on the rest of us.

Specifically, I am done staying silent about my anger and disgust with American right-wing Christian extremists. Long ago and at the risk of alienating my most ardent religious friends and family, I chose to take a vocal stand against religious bigotry every time I see it raise its ugly head. Criticizing my religious friends and family hasn't always gone well, I admit.

Good Religion, Bad Religion

I do not disparage anyone who chooses to live a life of religious joy and goodness. There are countless of good, honest, decent people in my own circle who only wish to live by the true tenets and teachings of Jesus Christ. Truth is, I love the teachings and the loving spirit of Jesus. However, I draw the line when religious beliefs are used to justify hatred and violence against others. 

The sad truth is that Christians have a long and sordid history of committing some of the most gruesome atrocities against their fellow humans. You don't have to venture too far back in our history to find episodes of Christian brutality. As you read this, there are people in our country, possibly in your own neighborhood who call themselves "Christians," while simultaneously aligning themselves with Nazis, the KKK and other violent hate groups. Hatred against our Black, Latino, Asian and LGBTQ citizens is at an all-time high, motivated in many instances by grossly-flawed interpretations of religious text.

This Not the Time to Stay Quiet

Amid this disturbing wave of social and racial upheaval, I am disheartened by the lack of outrage from good religious folk. Religion-driven hatred of "others" is real. My point is that good religious people are in a prime position to help quell or otherwise diffuse the wrongful use of Christianity. They can speak out much more forcefully against every wrong-headed effort to use their religion in ways that do not advance the cause of our peace and tranquility. The worst thing that can happen to our country is to allow religious zealots to run it. 

Peace to all.

Useful link: https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/new-style-atheism-can-counter-christian-nationalism-decline-religion-n1297611 

Your comments and rebuttals are welcome. Roy Ortega may be reached at rortega54@elp.rr.com