Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Religion, Humanism and Social Media

By Roy Ortega

By now, I guess it's fairly understood that I am a non-religious man who no longer ascribes to the tenets of 

organized religion. I realize that expressing brutally honest thoughts about the failings of religion is an invitation to the scorn and retribution of the deeply devoted. But here goes:

First, I must tell you that I do not disparage my religious friends and family who choose to follow the faith they were born into. It's all they know. But I have to be honest with myself and acknowledge openly that I don't easily suffer my church-loving brethren, especially on social media. I know they don't mean harm and most of them are good and decent people. Christians in particular are compelled by their religion to spread the gospel by any means at their grasp. They're born into a religion that teaches them that theirs is the only true religion in the world. More and more, however, religious people insist on using public forums like social media to proselytize and promote the message of their God and their Dear Lord Jesus Christ to the rest of us, whether we want to hear it or not. 

God and Religion Are Not the Same Thing

Someone wanted to know recently when I stopped believing in God and when I became an atheist.  Here's my truth and reality, folks: I have never said I am atheist. I don't even like the word. Nor have I ever said I don't believe in God. The only clear and unambiguous answer I can give to anyone who cares to hear it is that I accept the same notions of spirituality and morality that humanists around the world believe. Some people place humanists on the same level as atheists, but I don't. Religion is one thing. A belief (or non-belief) in God is another. 

For reasons that are my own, I stopped being a Christian years ago following a long period of introspection and soul searching. I love the teachings of Jesus, always have. But I have little faith in the religions that were created in his name. I finally came to the conclusion that religion is an invention of man's imagination and not suited to my own spiritual needs.

Fulfillment

As a non-Christian, non-religious person, I do not feel unfulfilled, nor do I lack love, compassion and empathy for my fellow humans. My moral core is fully intact. I do not feel something is missing in my life. I am not an empty soul. I feel love and endearment the same as any other human on earth. I feel hurt and pain and I grieve for the fate of my fellow humans. Truth is, most Christians see me as a doomed soul destined to eternal damnation simply because I don't share their faith in the same way they do. That they believe this truly saddens me. 

I bring up these tender thoughts only for the sake of trying to come to terms with the fact that although religious people freely and incessantly quote Bible passages and text online, they do not seem to be interested in the views of non-believers or, as I jokingly describe them, wild-eyed heathens like me.

These days, I avoid posting my views about politics and religion on social media unless I am forcefully provoked by someone with an obvious harmful or idiotic agenda. Instead, I choose to focus on using Facebook, Instagram, etc. to keep in touch with family and friends. I am genuinely interested in their lives. 

What is a Humanist?

Humanists are not what you think they are. Humanism isn't an organized entity. It is not a church, a temple, a mosque or an altar in the parking lot of Walmart. There is no humanist leader, CEO or head of state. Nothing like that. In a nutshell, humanists are people who believe the goodness of humans comes from inside the individual. It doesn't come from religion or any kind of divine intervention. It doesn't come from a holy book and it certainly doesn't come a political or religious leader. Humanism is a philosophy, a way of thinking. Humanists are simply good people who believe that the goodness of people comes from the core of the human soul. 

I do not spend a whole lot of my time trying to explain all of this to friends and family, but it is clearly difficult for the congregants of established religions - especially Christianity - to fully embrace humanism. Religion-driven genocide and unspeakable acts of violence against humans in the name of religion is a historical fact and continues to this very moment. From the teachings of Jesus Christ, you would think humanism would be the basic foundation of most religions. It isn't. 

Roy Ortega may be reached at rortega54@elp.rr.com. Comments welcomed.