By Roy Ortega
![]() |
| Pvt. Luis (Louis) V. Ortega |
After years of pouring over endless WWII historical data, I have made an exciting discovery regarding my Uncle Louie's time in battle. The information was initially pulled from accounts recorded in official documents and personal papers of Army General George S. Patton.
I credit my brother Ruben for tipping me off to an obscure YouTube video produced by a little-known documentary production company.
My own inquiries into the incident reconciled some of the facts contained in the video, but not all. It should be noted that the production company uses AI-generated images to tell the story. But after carefully reviewing at the overall facts, I can reasonably conclude that the story is credible.
![]() |
| Maizieres-les-Metz, France, 1944. |
The story relates to a battlefield incident that happened on October 18, 1944, in a small town in France called Maizieres-les-Metz, Maire. German snipers had reportedly begun targeting U.S. Army Medics in violation of the Geneva Convention.
In this video, Pvt. Luis Ortega is mentioned twice, once at 1:01 minutes into the video and again at 2:57.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asdGWuzSf0I#:~:text=The%20Germans%20(mist%20of%20them),medical%20people%20and%20captured%20causalities.
.jpg)
