By Roy Ortega
My personal panel of medical advisers assures me I am not losing my mind yet. This week, I received
the results of a recent brain MRI. My neurologist ordered the scan based on a suspicion of possible cognitive decline. Recent episodes of acute forgetfulness stirred a major concern that I might be "losing it," as my wife puts it.
Squirrel!
The activity I sensed seemed to identify closely with the onset of Parkinson's Disease or some other form of dementia. Why would I not be concerned? It just happens to run in my family. Both of my parents experienced dementia-related conditions in their old age.
The result of the MRI confirmed a diagnosis of only one thing: Microvascular Ischemic Disease. Sounds horrible, doesn't it? A careful review of the facts shows it simply means I'm experiencing short-term memory loss attributable to the aging process. Memory loss at age 73 is about as common as constipation.
Bottom line: Nothing to see here folks, move along.
I suggested to my neurologist that perhaps I need a psychiatrist instead. The one mental issue I want to avoid at all costs is becoming an angry and bitter old curmudgeon in my old age.
"Get off my lawn!"
I have given my family permission to lock me in the attic if I start behaving like a cantankerous old coot.
Roy Ortega may be contacted at royortega1953@gmail.com

