Monday, September 28, 2026

Random Thought: How Will History Remember You?

 By Roy Ortega

 "The unexamined life is not worth living. It is not living that is important but living rightly." - Socrates


Like many retired people, I spend a lot of my time reflecting on my life and wondering if I've done enough to make the world just a bit better. I sometimes sit and brutally confront myself with questions about the contributions I have made, or not made, or have yet to make to help tame a world that is endlessly trying to defeat us. I realize that delving into the past is probably an exercise in futility. I should spend more of my time on more important matters like changing a light bulb. I say that in jest recognizing that even in retirement I probably still have a little more left to contribute.  

The Emperor's Club


Many years ago, I was inspired by the 2002 movie "The Emperor's Club" starring Kevin Kline that helped cement my philosophical view of the world. I watch movies mostly to be entertained and sometimes to be informed. But this film pulled firmly on my deep thoughts and made me realize I am here not just to take up space but to pass on whatever wisdom I might have accumulated over my lifetime. By wisdom, I mean wisdom that truly means something; wisdom that others can use to improve the world. 

In the movie, the idealistic teacher William Hundert points to the year 1158 B.C. and the life of Shutruk-Hahhunte, King of Ansham and Susa, who accomplished many things, but none worthy of remembering in history. Hundert's message is simple: Your life should be spent doing something truly meaningful.

Questions to Ponder  

I can recall with great regret instances when my words and actions may have discouraged, dispirited or hurt someone emotionally.

On the other hand, I can recall the times when I felt genuinely compelled to go out of my way to extend a helping hand to a person in need. Most importantly, I feel confident in having encouraged others to make good decisions that resulted in good things.

So, here are the questions we should all be asking ourselves:

-Have I lived up to the standards of honor and integrity that I've always espoused in others?

-What have I done to help make life a little easier for others?

-What tangible things (something other than words) have I done to help others?

-Have I atoned properly for the many times I failed myself and others?

Again, I harken back to the words espoused by the great philosophers of the Greek Era: "A life lived without virtue, honor and principle is not worth living."

Roy Ortega may be contacted at royortega1953.gmail.com All comments are welcome.